Friday, October 14, 2011

Shockwave Challenge

My brother issued a challenge to his church 55 days ago to share the gospel with at least one person a day for a week. He couldn't, in good conscience, issue a challenge and not do it himself. So, for the next 7 days, he shared the gospel with at least one person a day. Little did he know that he would be so changed that he would continue the challenge from then on. So, for the last 55 days, he has been sharing the gospel and posting the results to his facebook, and sharing the details on his blog.

I've been inspired by all of the posts of his obedience to the Great Commission, and have become increasingly aware of the opportunities that God gives me each day to either be a witness, or cower in fear. Most days, I notice the opportunities too late, or am too fearful to open my mouth to intentionally share the gospel, though I've done it hundreds of times.

After missing several opportunities, I decided that today would be different. I was helping one of our teens out with a radio interview with StoryCorps. We were at his old elementary school and we were being recorded while I interviewed him to get his life story, which would later be added to the archives at the Library of Congress for future generations. The lady operating the recording equipment was listening in as Orry was able to share his testimony, and his involvement with the church and our youth ministry. After the interview was over, and we filled out our surveys for them, I decided that it was now or never, so after making some small talk, I asked her if she went to church where she lived, and she said, "no." So, I began to talk to her about her upbringing, and she said she was still trying to figure out what she believed. I asked if she knew anything about Christianity, and she said, "Not really." So, I began to share with her how God had created us to be with Him, and how sin entered the world, but God sent Jesus to die on the cross so that we wouldn't have to be separated from Him. After sharing, I asked if she believed in God, but she wasn't ready to accept the God from the Bible, but just a higher power. So, I asked if I could pray that God would reveal Himself to her, and she agreed, and we prayed for her right there in the library of the school. I then challenged her to pray that type of prayer on her own as she's trying to figure out what she believes for herself.

I believe when we ask God to show up, that He will. And so if she prays that prayer, God will show her that he's real. I just pray that she'll confess Jesus as Lord according to the Bible.

Though, it's been a couple of months since I consciously presented the gospel to a stranger, I was reminded at how easy it is once I open my mouth. Praying that God will give me the boldness to continue the challenge!  Follow along with Nate's Shockwave Challenge at www.natebarbour.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment