Monday, November 17, 2008

the iPod…how did I ever go without it?

Man! I LOVE my gadgets. It's interesting how much "stuff" a person can have! I was at Ross the other day with Jenni and I noticed a dozen different cases for an iPod. I picked them up and perused through them, and found one I liked! I didn't really need a new case for my iPod, but I couldn't turn this down…after all, it was only $5. As soon as I got to the car I put the new case on my iPod, and found out my iTrip didn't fit it now…so, I had to switch with Jenni. After I looked it over one last time, I decided to check out the website of this case. Now, there are tons and tons of more cases on here! And I like about 5 of them better than the one I just bought!!! Grrr!!! Yeah, I saved almost $15 by buying it at Ross, but if I'm honest, I'd rather have a different one now. How ridiculous, right?!? I mean, I don't even need a new case. My old one is fine, and yet, I get one, and then I'd rather have a different newer one.

Well, needless to say, they've got every gadget imaginable to go with our gadgets. The iPod alone probably has at least 100 different products that can go along with it. I even saw an iPod dock attached to a toilet paper holder…so you NEVER have to go without your music.

Can you believe that? Wow! You can get your cases, your docks, your earbuds, your iTrips, and anything else you can think of to go with your iPod. Which makes me wonder? Do we REALLY need all this stuff? Don't get me wrong here. I like to have nice stuff just as much as the next guy, but I wonder if I can literally do without it. Absolutely! I CAN do without all this "stuff." What does God want us to do with our stuff? Is He OK with us having all these things? I mean, He talks about meeting our needs in Matthew 6, and not only just meeting our needs, but how the lilies of the fields were clothed much more beautifully that even Solomon, who was stinkin' rich!

I believe that God wants to take care of us, and that every good and perfect gift comes from above. However, He wants to use us to take care of others, too. Which is why I believe, rather than spending my hard earned money on a bunch of "stuff," how much more should I spend it on the "least of these" in Matthew 25.

Boy, only if it was as easy to live this, as it is to write it down.

Lord, help me to be the kind of servant whose focus is not on the "stuff" of this world, but on the people who inhabit it. Let me be the kind of man who helps those in need, and shares the Gospel with his life. Make me a man after your heart, not a bunch of "stuff." Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment